Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Who Moved My Cheese?


In December 2009, I had been busy with Project Moving. Just 2 days before Christmas on December 23rd, we moved from the old house in the Northeast to the new house in the Southeast of Jakarta. The reason we moved house simply because we want to avoid the flood which usually comes around end of January each year.

So far we have experienced 2 big floods (water entered the house up to 1 meter high) and 1 small flood (water entered the house up to 20 cm). After 3 flood experiences, it’s time for us to move. And so we moved to a new house which looks like Barbie house.



During the moving preparation, I organized our stuffs in different colors of plastic containers and I ended up having 65 containers which 40 of them contained books (in total we have around 800 books). Some of the books are my precious cooking books.

On the first day we were in the new house, we bought RTE (ready-to-eat) food for our lunch and dinner. We were all exhausted from the moving activities and slept well that night. The next morning, I did not feel like eating RTE food anymore so I decided to cook.

Alas, my kitchen has not been ready yet and most of cooking stuffs were still in the plastic containers. Though we put label on each of container but dealing with stacks of 65 containers were not that easy. I checked my refrigerator, found broccoli, onion, milk and some seasoning. I was thinking of making broccoli & cheese. I remember that I still have some Old Amsterdam Cheese which I bought in Amsterdam last October when I was there for a business meeting. I opened the compartment for keeping cheese & butter in the fridge but I only found the butter while the cheese was no where to find.



Hey who moved my cheese?

I checked with each member of my family in case they happened to keep the cheese somewhere else but nobody knew the cheese where-about. I kept on searching for the cheese coz how can I make broccoli and cheese without the cheese?

Here’s my recipe of Broccoli and Cheese

Main ingredient:
400 g broccoli, cut into small pieces, boil in water for 5 minutes


Cheese sauce
2 table-spoons butter
1 onion, chopped
2 table-spoons flour
250 ml milk
A pinch of ground nutmeg, salt & pepper
200 g cheddar cheese, grated and 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese

To make the cheese sauce:
Melt the butter in a sauce-pan on medium heat
Stir fry the onion in the melted butter until wilted
Put the flour into the pan, stir well
Pour in the milk slowly while keep on stirring
Put in the salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
Put in the grated cheese, mix well

Arrange the broccoli in a glass dish which has been brush with butter or margarine
Pour in the cheese sauce on the broccoli, spread parmesan cheese on top of the sauce
Bake in the oven at 180 degree Celsius until brown

No comments: