Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Stay Young and Juicy



An article in Jakarta Post caught my attention. Here is more or less what it said: “wake up with a cup of strong coffee to get a kick, instant noodle for breakfast, a pack of artificially seasoned chips for later of the day, thick lamb curry for lunch, a pack of cigarette all day long, drink till you drop on weekends and so it goes day after day, week after week”.

Sounds familiar?

Are you aware how much toxins have we accumulated in our body? how can we get rid of it all? Some say ‘try detox’ – from doing a three-day diet of just fruit and veggies to drinking detoxifying herbal milk or lemon juice every morning for a certain period.

Nutrition experts say that fresh fruit and vegetables have a significant role in replacing damaged body cells and cleansing our body of toxins from the residues of food we eat.

Health experts repeat the old rule: eating at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day. But a single glass of juice could actually do much more to promote your overall wellbeing.

Really?


My ‘love affair’ with fresh juice began about a year ago when I was having breakfast at Harvey Nichols Social House. I ordered one of the fresh juices listed on the drink menu. I forgot the name of the juice written on the list but I remember that it was a mix of fresh papaya, orange, carrot and lime. I have never tried such a mix before. When the drink was served and I tasted it….. wow it tastes so refleshing.


The next day I tried to make the mix myself. Here is my version of the mix.

Ingredients:

  • 100 gram of ripe papaya, peeled and cut into small cubes
  •   50 gram of carrot, peeled and cut into small cubes
  •   10 oranges (I use Jeruk Pontianak – the type of juicy orange ), squeeze to get the juice of around 100 ml
  • 100 ml of iced water
  • 1 lime, cut into 2 and squeeze to get the juice



Method

  • Put the papaya cubes, carrot cubes, the orange juice and the ice water in the blender
  • Blend the mixture for around 3 minutes or until mix well.
  • Pour the mix into a glass and sqeeze the lime juice into the mix.
  • To give a kick, you may add 50 ml of Sprite Zero (optional).


Serve chilled.



Drink this juice each day and you'll  feel Young and Juicy everyday


No comments: